Making the move to senior living community is a big step for both residents and their adult children. To help clarify what Harbor’s Edge offers, here are some frequently asked questions about our community and services. If you can’t find an answer to your question, feel free to contact us for more information.
What is Harbor’s Edge?
Harbor’s Edge is a LifeCare Retirement Community, providing a long term financial plan that offers a full continuum of care with stunning residences and quality services. It consists of 163 Residential Living apartments, 33 Assisted Living Apartments, 17 Memory Support Suites, and 33 private Skilled Nursing units.
Who owns and operates Harbor’s Edge?
Fort Norfolk Retirement Community, Inc. (“FNRC”) d.b.a. Harbor’s Edge, is a Virginia non-stock corporation incorporated on February 28, 2002. FNRC is structured as a 501(c)(3) not for profit corporation and is governed by a local, non-salaried board of directors. This financial structure ensures that all residents are provided the highest level of services at the least possible cost.
What is a LifeCare retirement community?
A LifeCare community offers accommodations at every level; residential living, assisted living and nursing care. The beauty of the concept is best illustrated when a resident requires assistance. As residents’ needs change, they are secure in the knowledge that high quality supportive services and care are available on-site when needed in an attractive, professionally staffed environment, and minimal additional costs.
What kind of fees do residents of Harbor’s Edge pay?
As with most non-profit retirement communities, the residents of Harbor’s Edge pay a one-time entrance fee and a monthly service fee upon moving to the community. The entrance fee assures residents’ use of the common areas and priority access to programs of the Health Care Center if needed. As a LifeCare community, a portion of both the Entrance Fee and monthly service fee is recognized as a prepaid health care benefit and may be deducted for tax purposes.
The Entrance Fee varies depending on the type of residence and number of occupants.
What is included in the monthly service fee?
The monthly service fee entitles residents of the community enjoyment of the following services, programs, common areas, and amenities:
- Flexible meal plan.
- All utilities, except telephone and internet service.
- 24-Hour security, emergency call and response systems, smoke detectors, and a central security system.
- Weekly housekeeping services to include dusting, vacuuming, linen wash and change, and cleaning of kitchen and bath(s).
- Full maintenance of residence, appliances and building.
- Maintenance of lawns, trees, landscaped areas and parking areas.
- Social, recreational, educational, spiritual, and cultural activities
- Arts and crafts, bridge, and other special interest programs.
- Fitness/Wellness Center with indoor heated swimming pool and whirlpool spa.
- Wellness programs with information on exercise and nutrition.
- Clinic Services provided by nursing staff.
- Lighted parking areas and parking garage.
- Scheduled group transportation for activities and medical appointments.
The monthly service fee for the residence varies according to the size of the residence and whether it is single or double occupancy.
What are the prominent features of the residences?
Our spacious residences feature large, airy floor plans to compliment today’s active retirement lifestyle. We offer a variety of floor plans ranging from one, two, and three bedroom residences that boast style and ample square footage. The residences have been designed for comfort and distinctive living that provide maximum security, safety, and accessibility. These features are not always noticeable in day-to-day living, but they provide the residents with the added dimension of peace of mind. Residences include the following features:
- Wall-to-wall carpeting or hardwood flooring.
- Tile in kitchens and baths.
- Patios, balconies and/or sun rooms.
- Fully equipped kitchens with a frost-free refrigerator/freezer with ice maker, disposal, dishwasher, microwave and range/oven, overhead lighting, granite counter tops, storage and generous cabinet space.
- Tiled bathrooms with walk-in shower, tub, or a combination, granite vanities and a heat lamp.
- Emergency call system in bathrooms connected to the central system for 24-hour security and nursing assistance.
- Fire and smoke detectors, and a sprinkler system throughout all buildings.
- Individualized heating and air conditioning system controls for each residence.
- Pre-wired for cable television and telephone outlets.
- Washers and Dryers provided in each residence.
- Mini blinds throughout.
May I furnish, decorate, and customize my apartment?
Yes; residents furnish, decorate and customize their residences to reflect their own personal tastes. Any structural changes or additions beyond standard features will be done with the assistance of the Harbor’s Edge staff. We are delighted to work with you in making certain décor selections.
Are any other services available at additional costs?
Yes; other services and programs are available to residents. Services available at additional costs include but are not limited to additional meals, guest meals, personal laundry and dry cleaning, private transportation, catering, and a variety of concierge type services.
What kind of amenities and common areas are available for residents to enjoy?
Harbor’s Edge is committed to helping residents maintain the highest level of function and to meeting a wide range of requests and needs. Our extensive services meet the highest of standards. Our specialized programs include:
- Grand Lobby
- State-of-the-Art Theatre
- Business Center
- Two Beauty Salons
- Indoor Heated Pool and Whirlpool Spa
- Café Norfolk
- River Room with Pool Table and Card Table
- Two Garden Courtyards
- River Terrace overlooking Historic Fort Norfolk and the Elizabeth River
- Horizons Lounge
- Towne Bank with 24-hour ATM
- Card Room
- Guest Suite
- The Harbor Room for Fine Dining
- Private Dining
- The River Terrace Dining Room for gracious dining along the Elizabeth River
- Fitness Center
- Art Studio
- Individual mailboxes and postal services
- Secondary storage areas
- Blocks to local culture and arts venues, and Hampton Roads finest restaurants and shopping
- Steps to the Tide Light Rail
- Elizabeth River walking trail
The community operates a clinic on the premises where residents may be assessed by nursing staff and receive education and referrals as appropriate. Additional services include, but are not limited to Coumadin checks, blood pressure checks, lab work, EKGs, wound care, weight monitoring, medication management, ear irrigation, scheduling of special procedures, flu shots, vaccines, immunizations, B12 shots and other injections. The clinic also provides a variety of medical services by scheduled appointment such as optometry, podiatry, primary care, and urgent care.
The health services units are staffed for 24-hour response to emergencies.
Assisted Living Services
In the residential areas designated for Assisted Living, the community will provide residents with assistance with their daily activities as required to meet their needs and in accordance to Virginia regulations.
Memory Support Services
Harbor’s Edge provides care for those with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementia-related disorders in a secured special care unit.
Harbor’s Edge operates a licensed skilled nursing center that provides both short term skilled rehab and Long Term Care nursing. If it is determined that you need such care, the Health Care Center will provide this care on a 24-hour basis through qualified, licensed or certified professionals.
In addition to the LifeCare benefit, a great number of wellness services are also available:
- Exercise and wellness programs
- Water aerobics and swimming programs
- Seminars on diet, nutrition and other health related issues
How are transfer decisions to health services made and who makes these decisions?
Harbor’s Edge agrees to transfer a resident to health services only after consultations with the resident, personal physician and a member of the family or designated representative (to the extent practical) have taken place. Such a determination is based on the physical and mental health and safety of the resident. The decision to transfer a resident is made through consultation with the Level of Care Committee, unless an immediate transfer is ordered or required for the safety of the resident. The Medical Director for the Community may also be involved under certain circumstances.
Who is the Harbor’s Edge Medical Director?
Dr. Galicia-Castillo of The Glennan Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology at Eastern Virginia Medical School serves as the Medical Director of services.
Where do I go if I need hospital care?
This would depend on the preference expressed by the resident and/or the resident’s physician. Harbor’s Edge is conveniently located next to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, a nationally recognized cardiac program, the hospital is also home to Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance and several dedicated facilities and specialized services.
Is there a Resident Advisory Council?
Yes; Harbor’s Edge has assisted in organizing a Resident Advisory Council (RAC) to enhance the quality of life and services at Harbor’s Edge. The RAC is comprised of Residents elected by the Community and meets the second Thursday of each month for the following purposes:
• To consult and advise Management of desires or program enhancement opportunities which will improve the quality of life for Residents.
• To be a representative voice for Community Residents through organized committee efforts.
• To promote a positive relationship between the Residents and Administration of the Community.
Residents elect representatives to the Resident Advisory Council each December for a one year term starting January 1.
How do I become a resident?
Contact us today to speak with one of our experienced Senior Living Counselors at (757) 616-7950. We will be happy to answer any questions and schedule a personal visit for you today!
What is my next step?
Today, more than ever before, people are recognizing the importance of planning ahead for retirement and their financial security. Your next step is to schedule an appointment with our Senior Living Counselor who will assist you in learning more about Harbor’s Edge so you can be the judge of our ability to meet your retirement needs. As one of our residents recently shared, “If you’re thinking about moving to Harbor’s Edge, now is the time to do it. I only wish I would have moved here sooner.”
Still have a question you don’t see listed here?
No problem. Just call or visit our marketing staff. They’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the resort-style living found at Harbor’s Edge.
Visit us at:
One Colley Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Call (757) 616-7950 or contact us with your questions.