Frequently Asked Questions
Making the move to a senior living community is a big step for both residents and their adult children. To help clarify what Harbor’s Edge offers, here are some frequently asked questions about our community and services. If you can’t find an answer to your question, feel free to contact us for more information.
What is Harbor’s Edge?
Harbor’s Edge is a Life Plan Retirement Community with stunning residences and quality services, while providing a long-term financial plan that offers a full continuum of care. Our Harbor Tower consists of 159 Residential Living apartments, 33 Assisted Living Apartments, 15 Memory Support Suites and 33 private Skilled Nursing rooms.
What is the latest on the new River Tower?
How many apartments will be available in the new tower?
Do you offer moving assistance?
Do you allow pets at River Tower?
Is additional storage available?
Who owns and operates Harbor’s Edge?
What is a Life Plan Retirement Community?
What kind of fees do residents of Harbor’s Edge pay?
What is included in the monthly service fee?
- Flexible meal plan for truly outstanding dining
- All utilities, except telephone and internet service
- 24-Hour security, emergency call and response systems and smoke detectors
- Weekly housekeeping services to include dusting, vacuuming, linen wash and change, and cleaning of kitchen and bath(s)
- Full maintenance of residence, appliances and building
- Maintenance of lawns, trees, landscaped areas and parking areas
- Social, recreational, educational, spiritual and cultural activities
- Arts and crafts, bridge and other special interest programs
- Fitness/Wellness Center with indoor heated swimming pool and whirlpool spa
- Wellness programs with information on exercise and nutrition
- Clinic services provided by nursing staff
- Lighted parking areas and parking garage
- Scheduled group transportation for activities and medical appointments
What are the prominent features of the residences?
- Wall-to-wall carpeting or hardwood flooring
- Tile in kitchens and baths
- Patios, balconies and/or sun rooms
- Fully equipped kitchens with a frost-free refrigerator/freezer with ice maker, disposal, dishwasher, microwave and range/oven, storage and generous cabinet space
- Tiled bathrooms with walk-in shower, tub or a combination, granite vanities and a heat lamp
- Emergency call system in bathrooms connected to the central system for 24-hour security and nursing assistance
- Fire and smoke detectors, and a sprinkler system throughout all buildings
- Individualized heating and air conditioning system controls for each residence
- Pre-wired for cable television and telephone outlets
- Washers and dryers in each residence
- Mini blinds throughout
May I furnish, decorate and customize my apartment?
Are any other services available at additional costs?
What kind of amenities and common areas are available for residents to enjoy?
- Grand lobby
- State-of-the-art theatre
- Business center
- Beauty salon
- Indoor heated pool and whirlpool spa
- Café Norfolk
- River Room with pool table and card table
- Two garden courtyards
- River Terrace overlooking Historic Fort Norfolk and the Elizabeth River
- Horizons Lounge
- Towne Bank with 24-hour ATM
- Card room
- Guest suite
- The Harbor Room for fine dining
- Private dining
- The River Terrace for gracious dining along the Elizabeth River
- Fitness center
- Art studio
- Secondary storage areas
- Mere blocks to local culture and arts venues, and Hampton Roads’ finest restaurants and shopping
- Steps to The Tide light rail
- Elizabeth River walking trail
- Outpatient services
The community operates a clinic on the premises where residents may be assessed by nursing staff and receive education and referrals as appropriate. Additional services include, but are not limited to, Coumadin checks, blood pressure checks, lab work, EKGs, wound care, weight monitoring, medication management, ear irrigation, scheduling of special procedures, flu shots, vaccines, immunizations, B12 shots and other injections. The clinic also provides a variety of medical services by scheduled appointment such as optometry, podiatry, primary care and urgent care.
The health services area is staffed for 24-hour response to emergencies.
In addition to the LifeCare® benefit, a great number of wellness services are also available:
- Exercise and wellness programs
- Water aerobics and swimming programs
- Seminars on diet, nutrition and other health related issues
How are transfer decisions to health services made and who makes these decisions?
Who is the Harbor’s Edge Medical Director?
Where do I go if I need hospital care?
Is there a Resident Advisory Council?
Yes; Harbor’s Edge has assisted in organizing a Resident Advisory Council (RAC) to enhance the quality of life and services at Harbor’s Edge. The RAC is comprised of Residents elected by the Community and meets the second Thursday of each month for the following purposes:
- To consult and advise Management of desires or program enhancement opportunities which will improve the quality of life for residents.
- To be a representative voice for community residents through organized committee efforts.
- To promote a positive relationship between the residents and community Administration.
Residents elect representatives to the Resident Advisory Council each December for a three year term starting January 1.
How do I become a resident?
What is my next step?
Still have a question you don’t see listed here?
No problem. Just call or visit our marketing team. They’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the resort-style living found at Harbor’s Edge.
Visit us at:
Harbor’s Edge | One Colley Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia 23510
Call 1-757-616-7900 or contact us with your questions.