Reasons independent living makes the best lifestyle for active seniors
Do you want the best senior living community to fit your active lifestyle? Consider an independent living Life Plan community and pick up the freedom to enjoy time with your family and friends, live at your own pace and gain a whole new peace of mind.
In Virginia alone, there are 1.8 million people over age 60, and as Baby Boomers and even their kids become seniors, that figure is expected to jump nearly 30 percent by 2030, says the Virginia Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services.
Modern independent living today feels more like a permanent vacation than what you might think of in terms of a “retirement” community — especially at Harbor’s Edge. “Residents choose to live here because of everything they can do here,” says Harbor’s Edge CEO and developer Neil Volder. “They’re looking to continue their busy lifestyle on their own terms, and there are endless opportunities to live life to its fullest in the heart of Norfolk.”
As you consider selling your home or taking your next step, here are six reasons why an independent living community may be right for you.
- Maintenance-free living. Certainly, this is the first benefit most people consider, but it’s certainly not the only one. An apartment home at an independent living community such as Harbor’s Edge allows you to shed every responsibility of homeownership, both inside the home and out. You’ll also enjoy weekly housekeeping and personal laundry service as part of your monthly fee.
- Peace of mind. You’re healthy now, and may well be in the future. But life can be unpredictable, and the benefits of a Life Plan community — paired with a predictable, all-inclusive Life Care Contract — guarantees you will be cared for with assisted living, skilled nursing or memory support as needed in the community you love. At Harbor’s Edge, the True Life Care contract promises all of this with a guarantee of care onsite with a discounted cost that’s only available to those with True Life Care.
- More connections. Study after study shows seniors in an independent Life Plan community are among the happiest and most emotionally fulfilled. That’s thanks to the opportunities for socialization and connection with your neighbors (though you’ll also find plenty of time for solo relaxation). Harbor’s Edge, offers luxury high-rise options with new amenities, modern floor plans and plenty of opportunity for increased connections.
- Exceptional dining experiences. Enjoy formal, casual and private dining options: Café Norfolk (simple grab-n-go and lite fare), the Harbor Room (five-course, chef-prepared meals and paired wines) and the River Terrace (a traditional casual restaurant) each offer ways to change up your daily dining routine.
- Financial security and predictability. In general terms, independent Life Plan communities offer a variety of contract options. The Life Care or “Type A” contract, includes your living situation now with a full continuum of care in the future should your needs change. At Harbor’s Edge, we go one step further and offer a unique contract option, True LifeCare®. This guarantees access to Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing in addition to refundable entrance fees, and heavily discounted rates in the higher levels of care should you ever need them. True LifeCare® gives you another tool to maintain financial independence and protect your estate. Harbor’s Edge is the only continuing care retirement community in Norfolk to offer True LifeCare®. (Learn more about our fees and services in our frequently asked questions).
- Convenience. At Harbor’s Edge, residents enjoy resort-style independent living right on the harbor and in downtown Norfolk. Drive your own vehicle, walk or take our in-house transportation to get around town. We’re just a short walk to The Tide light rail system and a host of nearby dining and cultural activities (the historic Ghent District is adjacent to Harbor’s Edge). We’re also located across the street from Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Independent Living at Harbor’s Edge is growing.
The opportunities for independent living at Harbor’s Edge are growing as our new River Tower adds 147 private one-, two- and three-bedroom units with expansive waterside views of the harbor and river. The new building also includes a wellness clinic, a 40-seat movie theater, a salon/barbershop and fitness center.
Take the next step at Harbor’s Edge.
Independent living is part of the full range of senior living options at Harbor’s Edge, a Life Plan community providing a continuum of care in the heart of Norfolk. Contact us for a tour or call our sales office to take the next step.